Map different keys to äöüÄÖÜß in Windows with AHK

qubodup 2010-01-15

I prefer the US keyboard layout, because software is designed for it and because it is more comfortable for programming than the German/DE one. However, I need to communicate in German often. My solution so far was to have two Keyboard layouts: German and USA and I would switch between them using Alt+Shift. This solution is horrible, still I used it for years.

There is the US international keyboard layout, but I use ";" and the like more often than Umlauts, so no.

AutoHotKey lets you map keys. I wanted WinKey+a (or AoOuUs) to create ä (or ÄöÖüÜß). I also wanted the same in combination with the right Alt key, to see which would be more comfortable for me. The following code did it. It is based on this and was improved with the help of #autohotkey.

; # is the Win key
#a:: Send {ASC 0228}
#o:: Send {ASC 0246}
#u:: Send {ASC 0252}
#s:: Send {ASC 0223}

; + is Shift
#+a:: Send {ASC 0196}
#+o:: Send {ASC 0214}
#+u:: Send {ASC 0220}

; >! is the right Alt key
>!a:: Send {ASC 0228}
>!o:: Send {ASC 0246}
>!u:: Send {ASC 0252}
>!s:: Send {ASC 0223}

>!+a:: Send {ASC 0196}
>!+o:: Send {ASC 0214}
>!+u:: Send {ASC 0220}

Look what AHK can do for you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment